Finding someone can be horrifically painful. But board games are always awesome. So what if you combined board games and searching for a partner?
Picture this: You sit down for a night of games. A gaming concierge walks you through several games over the course of the night. You play classics and have fun playing brand new games you’ve never heard of, playing each with a different group of people, getting a chance to meet some other fun singles. All while in an awesome brewery that serves some of your favorite craft beers as well as options from their own collection unavailable anywhere else.
At the end of the night, you give your gaming concierge a list of the folks you met that you’d like to date and a list of those you met that you’d like to just hang out with as friends. If any two people put down the same name as each other in either column, then your gaming concierge will make sure you get each other’s e-mail address and you can coordinate a time to hang out.
Best case scenario: You find true love, discover some awesome board games, and make some new friends.
Bad case scenario: You accomplish only one of those three things, which is still pretty great.
Worst case scenario: There will be alcohol.
Before you decide to buy tickets, a few basics we should cover:
1) The cost of admission earns you entry into the event PLUS a token for a beer of your choice (gratuity included).
2) All are welcome. Many have asked the average age of the attendees, and we have found that most of the participants have been in their 20s and early 30s. We also offer events for women looking to date other women and men looking to date other men, and you can buy tickets for these at www.boardgamespeeddating.com.
3) Refunds are only available to those who cancel with at least 48 hours’ notice (exceptions will be made for emergency situations on a case-by-case basis). After that, we’re blowing the money from your ticket sale on something awesome and nonrefundable. This is partly because we love living a life of extravagance on someone else’s dime, but also because it’s not fair to everyone else if the attendance is lower than they thought it would be because a handful of people flaked at the 11th hour.
4) If we get to 24 hours before the event and still haven’t sold five tickets for each gender we will cancel the event (and notify you). We think this is very unlikely but wanted to include a note about it in case that happened.
5) How many games we have and which ones we use will be based in part on how many people attend, so we can’t tell you for sure what we’ll have right now. But they will all be fun, light, easy-to-learn games. Selection will include games from both the something-you-have-played-before and the something-you-haven’t-played-before categories. No, they are not games focused on sparking conversation, but we have a hunch that over the course of a game together, you’ll have a gut instinct about whether or not you’d want to go on a date with someone all the same.
6) Desperately wish you could attend, but you have plans on this date or the tickets you want are sold out? We will be doing more of these, so shoot us an e-mail at email@example.com, and we can let you know when the next one is happening.